Sterile Process Tech
Position is Full Time working 2nd shift supporting the Northwest Medical Center Main OR
The "Sterile Process Tech" in the Central Sterile department, performs all aspects of the sterilization process of surgical instruments and equipment including decontamination, assembly, packaging and the biological and chemical monitoring of the sterilizers.
Acts as an important resource to the operating room staff.
Responsible for requisitioning all autoclaving supplies, instruments and implantable devices used in the daily operation of the department.
Sterilizes, cleans, wraps, stores and distributes supplies, instruments, and equipment used in patient care.
Prior experience with sterile processing or certification / education highly preferred.
- Manually sorts, decontaminates and inspects all instruments before processing. Cleans and oils all power equipment and disinfects all patient care equipment.
- Loads steam, Sterrad and Steris sterilizers properly. Runs a biological test with every load, documents time, temperature and psi after each load and incubates spore test. Reads spore test and records before putting instruments away. Follows policy for any positive reading.
- Assembles instrument sets using count sheets, checks instruments for proper working condition and cleanliness and selects proper chemical indicator and correct instrument container. Coordinates with OR and CS/Autoclaving staff regarding any immediate turn-around instrumentation and utilizes the next day's surgery schedule to set priorities
- Operates and troubleshoots the washer decontaminator, air gun, ultrasonic cleaner, cart washer, steam, Steris, Sterrad sterilizers and heat sealer.
- Stores all equipment (i.e. cameras, scopes, bed attachments and anesthesia supplies) at end of shift, places instruments in proper locations and rotates stock.
- Pulls supplies and instrumentation for OR cases utilizing Surgeons' Preference Cards, noting any missing items. Notifies OR Charge Person of any cases lacking proper equipment.
- Maintains clean work areas.
- Orders and stocks supplies on an ongoing basis.
Position Qualifications/Minimum Requirements
High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience
Preferred: Sterile Processing Tech certification course
Previous experience with surgical instrumentation/equipment processing and terminology preferred
Northwest Medical Center is comprised of a 300-bed hospital, four urgent care facilities, a freestanding emergency center and a large physician group, offering you a variety of settings in which to work. Every location is dedicated to providing safe, quality patient care, but more than that is the commitment to employees. It strives to provide a culture of teamwork, respect and appreciation for all staff, whether they care for patients directly or work in a support role. With employee appreciation celebrations throughout the year, opportunities for growth and the satisfaction that you are part of a hospital leading the way with accessible, convenient healthcare in Tucson, Northwest is a great place to work. NMC is accredited by The Joint Commission and is an equal opportunity employer: race, gender, disability and Veteran status, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.