Scheduling Specialist Lead- Tucson-Patient Access Center
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(List in order of importance or percentage of time spent on the particular responsibility – High to Low)
1. Act as a resource to Scheduling Specialists for all PAC guidelines, processes and applications
2. Train new hires to department standards and processes. Assist with ongoing training and
education of staff
3. Take escalated calls and complaints from patients, family members, insurance companies or other
4. Assist with delegation of outbound call list and tracking
5. Accurately schedule for Specialty and PCP practices and correctly handle complex rule sets across
multiple Medical Groups and Markets
6. Maintain optimal productivity for call handling and wrap-up.
7. Ensure and request appropriate referrals and/or authorizations are present for specialty care.
Maintain knowledge of insurance-specific referral and prior authorization requirements.
8. Follows scheduling protocols and guidelines. Utilizes critical thinking to determine which processes
to apply to specific situations.
9. Determine calls with urgent needs and complete warm transfer to clinic staff
10. Researches patient requests in the medical record and provides information to patient or other
11. Monitor inboxes in EMR to ensure return communication from the clinic is handled promptly
12. Obtain information regarding refills, clinical questions, referrals, services, etc. Enter
documentation and communication within EMR for non-urgent clinical calls
13. Set a positive example for other Scheduling Specialists as it relates to job performance and
expectations. Maintain professional communication standards through verbal and electronic
14. Collects insurance and pre-certification information from callers, validates insurance eligibility and
correct PCP assignment
15. Adheres and complies to all policies and procedures
16. Attend educational sessions and department meetings as scheduled
17. Ability to perform all other duties as assigned or requested